In order to highlight pockets of excellence across the country, the NNED selects a partner organization to highlight once a month. Change Happens! has been selected as the Partner of the Month for August.
Change Happens!, formerly known as Families Under Urban & Social Attack (FUUSA), is a nonprofit that transforms the lives of families and children in high-risk communities of the Gulf Coast Region 6 with primarily focus in Texas. They provide a variety of programs that reflect our mission to empower people to help themselves. Change Happens! relies on support from individuals, foundations, grantors, and corporations interested in improving communities and the lives of families. When it comes to family-focused nonprofits, Change Happens! is a premier provider of services designed to bring positive change to communities.
Since 1989, Change Happens! has fulfilled its mission by providing a variety of programs focused on educating and enriching our youth, promoting pro-active healthcare measures and housing displaced families.
Some of the programs and services that are currently offered:
- Rescue Youth – The Rescue Youth Program aims to prevent youth involvement in drugs, alcohol, gangs, and other self-destructive/unhealthy activities. The Rescue Youth Program is delivered in schools, local shelters and community centers, after school and summer programs. The community-based program utilizes evidence-based curriculum for youth ranging from 6 to 18 years old and delivers youth and adult presentations that range from 30 minutes to an hour depending on your organization’s schedule.
- HYPE 2.0 – Helping Youth Prevent Engaging in Risky Behavior (HYPE 2.0) program was designed to educate youth ages 14-19 on abstinence, teen pregnancy prevention, HIV/AIDS, STDs/STIs, and positive youth development.
- My Brother’s Keeper – The Goal of this mentoring program is to help boys and young men of color (BYMOC) improve academic achievement, self-esteem, social competence, and avoidance of high risk behavior by providing a relationship with a caring adult who works to help your child achieve his full potential.
- Stairs 2.0 – The purpose of the STAIRS 2.0 program is to integrate behavioral health treatment and services for substance use disorders (SUD) and co-occurring mental and substance use disorders (COD), permanent housing, and other critical services for individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Rescue in Motion – The RESCUE In Motion Permanent Housing Program 2.0 provides case management, a wide array of supportive services, and rental subsidies to 68 chronically homeless men and women with a documented disabling condition who reside in scattered site housing throughout Harris County.
Learn more about Change Happens! and their variety of programs that reflect the mission to empower people to help themselves for families and children in high-risk communities of the Gulf Coast Region 6.
View a list of previous NNED Partners of the Month.