In order to highlight pockets of excellence across the country, the NNED selects a partner organization to highlight once a month. Self-Help for the Elderly, has been selected as the Partner of the Month for May in celebration of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.
Self-Help for the Elderly began as a non-profit organization serving seniors in San Francisco’s Chinatown community in 1966. Today, Self-Help for the Elderly serves over 40,000 older adults each year in San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Alameda counties.
Over 90% of the clients are low-income and from minority communities. Self-Help for the Elderly are dedicated to improving the quality of life for older adults by empowering seniors to help themselves and by providing comprehensive range of multicultural and multilingual services. They are firmly committed to the seniors’ security, freedom and peace of mind and promoting their independence, dignity and self-worth.
The some of the programs and services that are currently offered:
- Health & Home Care – The health & home care services help take all the weight off of family caregivers. They provide seniors with care in their own homes and outside of their homes. The goal is to enhance the quality of life of both the patient and their caregiver.
- Senior Housing – Self-Help provides apartment complexes for independent living in some of San Francisco’s highly sought after areas. The housing is affordable and comes with licensed quality care.
- Activity Centers – It is important for seniors to stay active and eat healthy in order to maintain their health. Our activity centers hold many activities for seniors to remain active and learn how to improve their health, including exercise classes, healthy meals, and much more!
- Nutrition Services – Self-Help for the Elderly’s nutrition services are helpful for seniors who have a difficult time getting the proper nutrition for their bodies. Many seniors have a difficult time going to the grocery store or trying to cook for themselves. They offer different options to provide any senior with the food and nutrients that they need to sustain a happy and healthy lifestyle.
- Social Services – From the beginning of Self-Help of the Elderly, they have provided guidance and solutions for case management, elder advocacy, counseling, naturalization and in-home support to the residents of the San Francisco area.
- Employment Services – To combat poverty, Self-Help for the Elderly supports older and displaced workers throughout the job seeking process. Our services include training, counseling, job placement and retention.
Learn more about Self-Help for the Elderly and their mission to promote independence, well-being, and dignity for older adults through culturally aligned services and programs in the San Francisco Bay Area. They envision a world where all elders have the respect, care, and support to lead dignified and vibrant lives.
View a list of previous NNED Partners of the Month.