In order to highlight pockets of excellence across the country, the NNED selects a partner organization to highlight once a month. Centro Multicultural La Familia has been selected as the Partner of the Month for October to honor National Hispanic Heritage Month and National Depression & Mental Health Screening Month.
Centro Multicultural La Familia, is a private, not-for-profit, mission-driven organization that provides comprehensive services to a diverse community in Michigan. While most of the clients served now are of Hispanic descent, they strive to offer services to a broader cultural community.
Centro Multicultural La Familia is proud to be able to offer culturally and linguistically competent services in the areas of mental health, substance abuse, domestic violence, home-based Early Head Start and Great Parents parenting programs, Integrated Care for patients with a chronic medical condition in collaboration with St. Joseph hospital, support and interpretation for pregnant women at Clinica de la Mujer, and Parent Education workshops.
Some of the programs and services that are currently offered:
- Mental Health Program – Their bilingual staff offers specialized counseling services for children, adolescents, adults and families in the areas of mental health, depression, anxiety and other issues. They also provide brief interventions and solution-focused therapy to help clients improve their quality of life.
- Victims of Crime and Domestic Violence Program – The program offers a culturally sensitive, Spanish language program to help victims of abuse. It provides individual advocacy-based counseling and a support group for victims of abuse in the areas of domestic violence, sexual assault, physical assault, hate crimes, bullying, teen dating violence, child abuse and human trafficking.
- Ventanilla de Salud (Health Workshops) – Health education and information provided in collaboration with the Mexican Consulate in Detroit. Staff and volunteers provide health education on topics such as diabetes, hypertension, breast cancer, prostate cancer, depression, anxiety, HIV testing, etc.
- Language Interpretation – Language interpretation at different agencies including Women’s Center at St Joseph Hospital. Bilingual staff provides interpretation between pregnant women and their physician so they can communicate better and have healthier outcomes.
- Assistance with Medicaid and Health Insurance Applications – They will assist with applications for Medicaid, food stamps, child care thanks to funding received from Blue Cross Blue Shield. They also have computers that the public can use to apply for these benefits themselves.
Learn more about Centro Multicultural La Familia and their variety of programs that reflect the mission to provide culturally-competent support services to families in a holistic approach in order to improve their quality of life.
View a list of previous NNED Partners of the Month.