In order to highlight pockets of excellence across the country, the NNED selects a partner organization to highlight once a month. Montrose Center, has been selected as the Partner of the Month for June in celebration of Pride Month.
The Montrose Center located in Houston, Texas empowers the entire community, primarily lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer individuals and their families, to enjoy healthier and more fulfilling lives. They envision a healthier society marked by permanent, positive changes in attitudes and behaviors toward the LGBTQ communities, and the ability of all LGBTQ individuals to realize their fullest potential. Montrose Center provides support through the many programs and services offered to the LGBTQ community.
Some of the programs and services that are currently offered:
- LIFE Counseling – The Montrose Center’s LIFE (Living Insightfully for Empowerment) Counseling Program offers professional individual, couples/family and group counseling by licensed master level therapists*, allowing you to explore behavioral and emotional issues, problems and conditions without fear of encountering prejudice, fear, ignorance, homophobia, transphobia or heterosexism.
- Group Therapy – Group therapy can help you feel less alone, develop new coping skills, and empower you to meet your goals. Joining a group may seem frightening at first, but it is generally and ultimately a rewarding experience.
- WAY OUT Recovery – Affordable Outpatient Substance Use Treatment for the LGBTQ and HIV+ Communities. Licensed professional therapists not only specialize in this area, but they also understand how addiction can be complicated by other physical and mental health issues, gender identity and/or sexual orientation.
- Anti-Violence Program – The program targets and has expertise in serving LGBTQ survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and trafficking; as well as all survivors of hate crimes regardless of sexual orientation. The Center does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, ethnicity, creed, national origin, sexual/affectional orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental ability, religious practice or preference, HIV status, chemical dependency status, marital status, or pregnancy.
- SPRY – Seniors Preparing for Rainbow Years (SPRY) is a vibrant and growing community of LGBTQ older adults age 60+, with life-enhancing services to meet a variety of needs unique to our population, including: community outreach, men’s and women’s groups, professional counseling, social and recreational activities, health and wellness education.
- Hatch Youth – A social group for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Questioning (LGBTQ) Youth dedicated to empowering LGBTQ adolescents, ages 13-20, to become responsible citizens and positive contributors to society by providing a safe, affirming social environment for LGBTQ youth, providing education on health issues such as HIV, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI’s) drug and alcohol abuse and suicide prevention and etc.
Learn more about the Montrose Center‘s services and programs and their vision for a healthier society marked by permanent, positive changes in attitudes and behaviors toward the LGBTQ communities in Metro Houston.
View a list of previous NNED Partners of the Month.