The month of May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (APAHM), a time to celebrate the contributions made by Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and reflect on what it means to be a part of the AAPI community. In honor of APAHM, the National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP) is hosting a variety of events to honor AAPI heritage and continue to promote AAPI excellence and leadership.
Chapter events are taking place in:
- Atlanta, GA – NAAAP Atlanta will also be hosting a Braves networking night event on May 15, when the Braves take on the St. Louis Cardinals. On May 29, NAAAP Atlanta is partnering with the Bank of America to host a presentation skills workshop to brush up for that pitch!
- Boston, MA – On May 7, NAAAP Boston’s Women in NAAAP will be hosting a “Unleashing the Quiet Strength Within” workshop. This professional development workshop will examine the unique value that introverts bring to the table. On May 23, NAAAP Boston will host a Toastmasters session with a focus on Asian identity.
- Chicago, IL – On May 16, NAAAP Chicago will be hosting its annual APAHM celebration at CIBC Bank with the theme of “Creating Influence as an Asian American Leader.” The event will include an executive panel featuring local AAPI business leaders.
- Detroit, MI – To observe APAHM, NAAAP Detroit along with the Michigan Asian Pacific American Affairs Commission and APIA Vote will host a Field Day on May, 9 on Capitol Hill for members to meet State Legislators and hear from Governor Gretchen Whitmer.
- Miami, FL – NAAAP Miami is hosting programs for 10 Days of Connection, a Miami-Dade County program promoting understanding across cultural lines including : Connecting through Cuisines on May 4 and Ask an Asian Panel on May 9.
- Milwaukee, WI – Milwaukee’s NAAAP Chapter will be hosting professional development activities on May 14 and May 20. On May 24 they will be hosting their Manpower Asian Heritage Month event and their Refinitiv (Thomson Reuters) Asian Heritage Month event on May 30.
- Minneapolis, MN – NAAAP Minnesota is hosting a Food Crawl all day on May 19 in Minneapolis, featuring Sushi Tango, Sencha and Hoban. All attendees sample new foods and network for nine hours. Additionally, MN is creating short films of each restaurant owner to share their AAPI story and what their culture means to them.
- New York, NY – On May 22, NAAAP NY will be hosting Sweet & Savory Sounds at the Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA), in partnership with Macy’s and AXA! 175 people are expected for music, art, and networking.
- Morrisville, NC – NAAAP’s Research Triangle Park chapter has established the first AAPI GoalFriends group, which will meet for its third time on May 19. GoalFriends are small groups of women who hold one another accountable for writing and achieving goals. This GF group’s members discuss travel, wellness, careers, and raising multi-cultural children. The group plans a yoga retreat and tri-generational story-writing group for the future.
- Los Angeles, CA – NAAAP LA is hosting an “Engage an Audience Using Improv” workshop on May 1, featuring AAPI comedians Kiki and PK of Crazy ‘Woke’ Asians and Jonny Kim, regional manager at US Bank. Audience members will compete in an improv group activity to win prizes. Speakers will also offer insight into how they’ve used improv in public speaking.
- Orange County, CA – NAAAP’s Orange County chapter will be partnering with the Orange County Asian & Pacific Islander Community Alliance (OCAPICA) to host the first Annual Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Night at Angels Stadium of Anaheim.
- San Diego, CA – On May 4, NAAAP San Diego will be hosting Cultural Row booths at the 10th Annual Asian Cultural Festival of San Diego – San Diego’s largest celebration of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.
- Washington, DC – On May 5, 2019, NAAAP DC will host “AAPI Salute to Service,” bringing together a number of AAPI organizations to visit Arlington National Cemetery to lay a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier.
View the full list of NAAAP 2019 APAHM Chapter Events celebrating APAHM which includes contact information for each event!